23 July 2021

Peter Rehberg, R.I.P.

 


I have never met the man. But I had corresponded with Peter in the mid 2000s when I was setting up a record shop locally to fill up the shop stock. We wanted the shop to have some truly great contemporary record labels which were really pushing the musical boundaries in terms of their curated stable of artists. Pita, as it was known then, was definitely one of them. Others included Touch, PSF and Southern Lord. 

It was mainly just a series of emails to procured the best, to me and my shop partner, Harold back then. The shop folded in 2007 and though there was no shop to justify any further purchase, I continue to buy from Peter, his renamed Mego now known as Editions Mego., which rightly gave the label the appropriate gravitas which he and the label deserved with the word "Editions". 

A few years ago, he suddenly emailed me about a possible tour through Singapore. Though I was no longer organising events or running a shop, I tried to link him up with my friends who were still doing so. Eventually, the tour did not come through as there was some changes to his tour itinerary. We promised to make his tour here an eventuality in the future.

That future never will arrive now with his passing. Many of my associates and friends locally and abroad feel the loss of Peter greatly. His curatorial role as a label boss and his work under his solo moniker, Pita, with his musical partners in crime, shaped our musical exploration since the early 2000s with landmark releases by Fennesz, Kevin Drumm, Hecker, General Magic, etc. 

I continued to buy Editions Mego and its sister label releases up till today. Him helming it with his associates always ensure quality and commitment of the tallest order. 

A musical giant has left us but his spirit will live on, RIP. 

No comments: