19 February 2010

Bondage, Up Yours!



I was reading Greil Marcus's Lipstick Traces and was very inspired by the way he outlines a secret history of spiritual/intellectual search out of this material world of rude survival, crass competition in the name of 'effectiveness' and 'efficiency'. From the Brethren of Free Spirits to the Lettrists to the Situationists and to the Punks, it seems like there has always been a small group of people around who are always searching for the 'way out': out of mortal suffering, out of the capitalist downward spiral and out of a cultural cul de sac.

But how about the rest of humanity? Dont they care? Perhaps they do but the circumstantial factors some how dont allow them that luxury. Perhaps they are not even aware of alternative options. Or perhaps they have resigned to life and opt for the easier way out. But maybe people in the SI or the Punks simply think too much or they are just, bored.




It makes me ponder about the human condition; to reconsider the meaning of life more often each day. I have no answer and neither do I have a solution. But it just seems a lot, at least to me, to be able to say to myself, huck it, no matter how tired or jaded I am at my 'day-job' i must find time to read what I want to read, what i want to listen to and what I feel its worth watching. Putting in that extra effort to find out about the 'truths' and to squeeze out that marginal time/effort I have to digest them and think about them and sharing them sometimes, seems to me, to be my way of saying 'oh bondage, up yours!'

No comments: