17 September 2017

Holger Czukay (CAN) & Grant Hart (Hüsker Dü) R.I.P. and some humble and humbling thoughts

Two great, visionary bands, from different decades but influential nonetheless, lost a member each from their esteemed rhythm section. Holger Czukay from the Can...

Image result for holger czukay

and Grant Hart from Hüsker Dü

Image result for grant hart

I do not think I have much to add to the torrent of words in honour of them since the news broke of their passing. It just that my recent posts consist of obituaries of such. As a counterpoint that, I have not really raved about newer heroic acts in this space. Either I am getting old or there is a need to rethink what it means to be exciting new music in the current era.

I am still pretty stoked about Jasss or  Let's Eat Grandma in recent months but my main strokes of satisfaction or excitation come mainly from revisiting older but still ignored stuff from the jazz, free improv, extreme metal, tape scene and modern classical fields. When I receive the latest issue of The Wire, I usually zoom in at the Boomerang and Print Run sections rather than the general reviews. Anyone wants to enlighten me on this?

No comments: